Sunday 8 May 2011

Deputy Principal’s Message

If you were to ask my wife, Miss Renee, about me she would tell you that I spend way too much money on Magazines. I love to buy magazines about surfing, fishing, football, motorbikes, photography.....almost anything. When I stop and think about why I have this obsession with magazines I have to admit it is not to read the stories - even though I usually do! The real reason, is that I really like to look at photos.

To me photos are amazing things because they can capture a moment and tell the story of what happened at a time and place for many years to come. A good example of this is the Museum at Wurrumiyanga which shows many important moments from Tiwi History in beautiful old photographs. Recently at Tiwi College we captured a historic moment in some photos.

On Wednesday the 27th of April Tiwi College announced its very first group of school captains. This special occasion was attended by Tiwi Education Board Members and celebrated by all staff and students. Our school captains will be kept very busy representing the school at special events, working together on the Student Council and being excellent leaders and role models to their fellow students.

Congratulations to you all on being selected and remember that being a leader can be hard work and very challenging, but it is a fantastic opportunity not to be taken for granted. When I look at our 2011 School Captains’ photo I see proud, strong young people who are the future leaders of the Tiwi.

Mr James Russell


Front row, left to right - Maralampuwi Maralampuwi (TEB), Marie -Junior School Girls’ Capt, Stanlisha – Girls’ School Capt, Jason – Boys’ School Capt, Jonas - Junior School Boys’ Capt, Kim - Middle School Boys’ Capt, Pedro Wonnaeamirri (TEB).

Second row, left to right - Leslie Tungutalum (TEB), Cassie - Senior Girls’ Capt, Evita - FGH 4 Capt, Laura - FGH 6 Capt, Marius Puruntatameri (TEB Chairman), Richard - Middle School Boys’ Capt, Freddy - FGH 5 Capt, Harley - FGH 2 Capt, Stephen - FGH 3 Capt, Gawain Tipiloura (TEB).

Absent: Gabriel -Senior Boys’ Capt and FGH 1 Capt